Available Term 2
This enrichment programme is designed to support our students in developing basic baking and food hygiene skills.
The key elements of this programme are:
- Following instructions
- Health and safety – particularly food hygiene in the kitchen
- Measuring ingredients
- Flavouring and design
The overall aim is to produce a cookbook featuring all the recipes the students have tried.
It is our aim to develop the range of cooking undertaken, although current bakes the pupils complete include:
A range of learning takes place, which involves:
- Learning that reading has purpose and that maths has practical applications, as they follow instructions and weigh out ingredients.
- Learning to take precautions, wearing aprons and making sure the cake doesn’t stick to the tin.
- Learning that heat is a catalyst and matter can change state.
- Developing team work and to turn taking, as one person holds and the other stirs.
- They learn to think for themselves, have an opinion and take risks. Who says you can’t add marshmallows if you want to?
- Developing the art of patience.
- Exploring the application of fractions and fair shares. And that good things do come to those who wait.
- Considering different times of year, not just birthdays and Christmas, but Valentine’s Day (heart-shaped brownies or pink cupcakes?), summer fun (try strawberry shortcakes and fluffy sponges) or autumn specials (when apples beg to be picked, peeled and pie-d).